I was able to purchase another 19 lb box of organic Roma tomatoes for $6 from our CSA. I made more Roasted Roma Tomato Sauce, but I also decided on a very chilly day that soup was going to be on the dinner menu that evening.
- 4 lbs Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 C fresh Basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh Oregano
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- olive oil
- 24 oz homemade chicken stock or store bought
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place flat on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the basil, oregano, onion, garlic, salt, pepper to the baking sheet.
- Coat the tomatoes generously with olive oil.
- Roast for 45 minutes at 400 degree.
- Carefully remove from the oven, because the tomatoes get juicy. Allow the tomatoes to cool slightly. With a pair of tongs, remove the skins. Remove as much of the skins as you can, but it is okay if some remain.
- Once completely cool, blend the tomatoes, herbs and oil from the trays in the food processor. This will definitely take several batches to do. Place each batch in one big bowl to combine.
- Heat the chicken stock in a large soup pot. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slowly add the cream, stirring the entire time to prevent curdling.
- Bring back to a simmer.
- Ready to serve.
- If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Serve Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup with a fresh garden salad, a grilled cheese sandwich or your favorite homemade bread.
Print the recipe for Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup.