What does a girl do with 19 pounds of organic plum tomatoes that she bought for $6?
Two weeks ago, at the picnic/potluck that our CSA hosts annually, they offered boxes of organic plum tomatoes for $6. I couldn’t pass it up and next year I will buy two boxes.
Roasted Red Plum Tomato Sauce
1. I sliced the tomatoes in half lengthwise and laid them flat, filling a rimmed baking sheet. I only have 2 baking sheets and I had to do this in two batches.
You don’t need 19 lbs of tomatoes to make this sauce, just enough to fill a tray or two.
2. On each sheet I added:
- 1/4 C fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 C fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves
3. Coat the tomatoes generously with olive oil.
4. Roast two trays at a time at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Shift the trays. Move the top tray to the bottom and bottom tray to top. Roast another 30 minutes.
5. Carefully remove from the oven, because the tomatoes get juicy. Allow the tomatoes to cool slightly. With a pair of tongs, you should be able to remove the skins. Get as much as you can, but it is okay if some skins remain.
6. Once completely cool, blend the tomatoes, herbs and oil from the trays in the food processor. This will definitely take several batches to do. Place each batch in a big bowl to combine.