Baked Turkey, Macaroni and Cheese
inspired by Cooking Light
- 8 oz elbow macaroni (a typical box is 16 oz)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Cup Roasted Tomato sauce – or your favorite type
- 2-3 cups chopped, cooked turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Mexican cheddar jack cheese – or your favorite cheddar blend
2. Over medium-high heat, add olive oil to a large pan. Add onion, carrots, garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add turkey, tomato sauce, 1 tsp salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Combine the turkey mixture with the cooked pasta. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7 baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray or butter.
5. In a sauce pan, combine milk, flour, nutmeg and 1/2 tsp salt. Over medium heat, whisk continuously until well blended for about 2 minutes.
6. Add 1 Cup cheese and whisk constantly until smooth.
7. Pour cheese evenly over the turkey/macaroni mixture. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup cheese.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Let the dish sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with sweet peas and homemade applesauce. Enjoy!
Enjoy all of the posts from Turkey Week 2010:
- How Much Turkey Will I Need?
- How To Thaw A Turkey
- Roasted Turkey with Fresh Herbs and Lemon
- To Stuff or Not To Stuff
- How To Make Turkey Gravy
- How To Make Turkey Stock
- Turkey Chili Potpie
- Turkey, Kale & Orzo Soup
- Baked Turkey, Macaroni & Cheese
Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet.
This post is linked to: