This is a great way to use up Thanksgiving leftover turkey, but you could also use leftover cooked chicken.
Turkey Chili Potpie
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans white beans
- 1 Cup homemade turkey stock , or store bought
- 3 Cups chopped, cooked turkey
Cornbread Topping Ingredients
- 1 Cup flour
- ¾ Cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 Cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 egg
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add chili, oregano, cumin, salt, tomatoes, beans, stock, turkey, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 3 minutes.
3. Pour the turkey filling into a 13 X 9 baking pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
4. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Mix together the buttermilk and egg and add to the flour mixture. Stir together until moist.5. Spread the cornmeal mixture over the turkey filling. The cornbread mixture will be thick.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 18 minutes.
Printable version of Turkey Chili Potpie