This side dish is a great way to use up your garden vegetables. My whole family enjoyed it. The recipe came with our CSA box of vegetables last week. The temperature dropped around here, so I turned on my oven after a long, idle summer.
Play around with the spices and try different combinations. The next time I make this, I'm going to use Italian spices for a different twist.
Tomato, Zucchini & Rice Bake
- 1 Cup long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 summer squashes (zucchini and/or yellow), chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Cups homemade chicken stock or vegetable broth, boiling
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add uncooked rice and saute until golden brown.
Place rice in a 13 X 9 casserole dish and spread the rice out evenly. The rice will also grease the pan. Sprinkle the ginger over the rice.
Layer the onions, squash and tomatoes over the rice.
Combine the garlic, soy sauce and broth. Pour the mixture over the rice and vegetables.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed.
Print recipe for Tomato, Zucchini & Rice Bake.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
- have updates sent to your email,
- through your RSS Feed
- become a fan and 'like' FBS on Facebook
- become a Twitter follower
This post is linked to $5 Dinner Challenge.