I have loved just about every dessert that has ever crossed my path, but this cake is one of my all time favorites. If you love gingerbread, you’ll love this cake.
Apple Gingerbread Cake
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Cup molasses
- 1 Cup sour milk – 1 cup milk with 1 Tbsp of white vinegar added to it. It will bubble and curdle, but that is what is supposed to happen. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 of your favorite baking apples. Peeled and cut into 8-10 slices. I used an apple slicer.
- Homemade Whipped Cream
Mix the sugar, butter, ginger, cinnamon and salt until creamy. Add 1 large egg and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and sour milk. Mix well. Add flour and baking soda and mix until combined.
Prepare a 9 x 9 glass pan with non-stick baking spray. Layer the pan with the apples.
This cake smells so good. You want to dig in as soon as it comes out of the oven, but WAIT, something is not right.
DO NOT eat this cake without the HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM. Well, I guess you could, but why?
Print recipe for Apple Gingerbread Cake.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
- have updates sent to your email,
- through your RSS Feed
- become a fan and ‘like’ FBS on Facebook
- become a Twitter follower
This post is linked to Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.