Broccoli Cheese Soup ~ Slow Cooker Recipe

Broccoli cheese soup in the slow cooker

I am a bit ashamed to admit, but this is NOT a real food recipe. Rarely do I post recipes like this, but this soup is a family favorite that I serve when I am hosting a big crowd, as in 20+ people. That probably only happens once or twice a year and if the gathering is during the fall or winter, this soup is most likely on the menu.

Serve with Zucchini Basil Corn Muffins or homemade Artisan Bread.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

(from my mother)

Ingredients

• 16 oz Cheese Whiz
  • 4 cans Cream of Celery Soup
  • 1 quart half and half
  • 4 (10 oz) packs frozen chopped broccoli

Directions

Combine all four ingredients in a crock pot (at least 6 quart) and cook on low for 5 hours. Stir well and cook on low for an additional hour. This recipe can be cut in half for a smaller crowd.

Some day I’m going to experiment and create a recipe using real food and not cheese whiz and canned cream soup. But right now this recipe is so simple and perfect for big crowds and I have never had a single complaint. There are rarely leftovers.

Print recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup.

Click the link for more soup recipes. Also follow me on Pinterest where I am always adding soup and slow cooker recipes.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

Comments

1. thanks for posting this recipe..just shows that you are real, just like most of us.
    looks yummy,sinful ( quart of half and half? )and easy. and yes I will try it soon!!

2. I made this last night and it was so so SO YUMMY!! Thanks for posting this recipe – it was so easy to make – and I wouldn’t be ashamed – I’d be proud you can make such a BIG & hearty meal on such few ingredients – GENIUS!!! Thanks again, I will be making this for a LONG time!

3. Looks good, may try using velveeta, though. And cream of broc soup.

4. OMG – I brought this to our office xmas luncheon before ‘testing the recipe’!! IT was so YUMMY!!

5. I’m adding some leftover ham to mine and will serve it tomorrow night after our snow storm here in Maryland.

6. Forgive me if I sound stupid, but not knowing what cheese wiz is, I bought the cheese in a can.. do you think this will work?

7. I made it with Velveeta and it was delicious!! This will go into rotation at my house.

8. I used velveeta and it was delicious. Thanks for such an easy recipe.

9. Anonymous says:

I also used 8 oz. of velveeta and it was soooooo good.

10. Made this last night and it was great!

I used regular Cheese Whiz (I was looking for “Light”, but my store doesn’t carry it), fat free half and half, reduced fat/sodium cream of celery soup, plus I threw in the remainder of a small block of Velveeta. Everyone had seconds!

Thank for the recipe!

11. Looks like beautiful comfort food and just perfect for cold days like today!

12. I made half the recipe and it was enough for me, my husband and three of our boys (9, 8, and 2yo). I don’t like Cheese Whiz, so I used two cans of cheese soup and a can of cream of onion. At the 5 hour mark, I added 1 Cup real cheddar cheese, 1 Cup diced ham, and Tastefully Simple “Onion Onion” and “Garlic Garlic” seasoning. It was really REALLY good! Will definitely do this again. Maybe next time have crumbled bacon to sprinkle on top.

13. Anonymous says:

This is not food! Food is supposed to nourish your body.

14. Anonymous says:

I’m trying this tonight! I’m also using Velveeta so we’ll see how it turns out! Thanks for the recipe.

15. Hello everyone! Sorry, I don´t know what´s 1 quart half and half??
    I´m from Spain and I can´t find what´s that?, some translations??

16. Thanks, I will try this recipe!

17. Anonymous says:

I want to try this. I prob will add cooked shredded chicken and some diced jalapenos!!

18. Anonymous says:

Tried this tonight and my family loved it…I will be fixing it again..Thanks for sharing :)

19. I made this last night & it was fantastic! I had to improvise with what was in the house so I used frozen broccoli & cauliflower, 2 cans of cheddar cheese soup & 2 cans of cream of chicken, with the cheese whiz, skim milk & grated a little nutmeg & shredded cheese on top. This was definitely a favorite!
    Thank you!

20. This comment has been removed by the author.

21. Anonymous says:

All ingredients in the slow cooker now. I’m going to add some leftover rotisserie chicken from last night. I also picked up a french baguette to “dip”. Can’t wait to taste it!

22. This was amazing! So easy and good! Will be making again!

23. I made this today. It is SO good! I used what I had available so I improvised a little bit but it is truly delicious. I used fat free half and half and it came out thick and rich. Definitely a keeper. Thank you!!! :)

24. Cut the recipe in half and also made it with the 2% Milk Velveeta, and Land O Lakes fat free half and half, it was delish! Thanks!

25. Is the cream of celery soup you use condensed? If yes, do you also add one can of water or just soup? Thanks!

26. Making this tomorrow I can’t wait!!

27. Anonymous says:

I have this in my crock pot now for an after church dinner with my husbands extended family… All 70 of them! Looks delicious so far! I have added 16 oz of velveeta instead of the cheese whiz (I already had it on hand) and used the 16 oz bags of frozen chopped broccoli, I’ve used 2 of the bags so far but have an extra bag on hand incase it condenses down as it cooks. Thank you so much for the recipe,i love simple crock pot recipes! :)

Sincerely,
    Young newlywed

28. Anonymous says:

Wow… Could you squeeze anymore fat and sodium into this dish? Yuck!

Well, I’m off for my daily run while the rest of you make this crap, eat the whole pot, then bitch and moan about your ass getting too big to fit into your jeans.

29. Anonymous says:

Can I cook this on the stovetop?

30. Just made this tonight but used 16oz Velveeta cheese instead and WOW! It came out amazing. So simple and so delicious. This is the first post I have ever responded to and had to once I tasted this soup. I absolutely love Pinera bread’s Broccoli cheddar soup and this is even better. I highly recommend this to everyone.

31. Anonymous says:

Absolutely loved this. So convenient. Not everyone has time to harvest the grains and gut the game before dinner. This is 2013. This is considered a meal. A good one too!

32. Anonymous says:

I am making this for the second time. I forgot to comment before. I used 2 cans of cheese soup, 1 can cream of celery and 1 can of cream of chicken and added a big handful of shredded cheddar (in place of the cheese whiz) once it was hot and starting to look like soup. I also used fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and it was still rich and thick. My whole family absolutely loved this. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!

33. Anonymous says:

Can I cook this on high? If so how long for?

34. Anonymous says:

Just wondering….on the original site it says to use 4 cans cream of celery soup…when I clicked to print the recipe…it calls for 2 cans cream of celery soup. Is it 4 or 2? Really want to try this recipe for my daughter…

35. Anonymous says:

I have a different recipe but I used Campbells Cheddar Cheese soup and Sour Cream.

36. Made this today which was perfect as its been cold here! Followed the recipe fully, just added salt.to taste for myself…sprinkled shredded sharp cheddar onto the top as garnish. Absolutely amazingly delicious soup! Simple to put together quick and run if needed! Nothing better than a hot cup of soup on a cold day! And enough to last a few days too!! Thanks for sharing!!

37. twylanthor says:

This soup is amazing I got nothing but compliments. I used my own recipe for cream of anything soup and a entire bunch of celery. Thank you so much for the recipe I’m making it again tonight.

• Kristia Ludwick says:

You’re welcome! I need to make my own cream of anything soup–I think that will be my next project.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

38. I found a recipe in my allrecipe box that I’ve made before that will make your soup more “clean eating” – I didn’t say completely, just more… It would replace the cream of celery soup by using this simple cream base instead as the base for the soup! I’ve tried it on other soups and it’s delicious!

39. How many does the recipe typically yield? I am going on a ski trip this weekend with about 12 other people (mostly guys). I’m just unsure of whether the original recipe would be enough or if I should double it? Hoping this is as good as everybody raves and can’t wait to try it!

Trackbacks

1. […] lazy. So what? It’s dark already. This deliciousness is a somewhat punched up version of this recipe from Kristia at Family Balance Sheet. Go give her some […]

2. […] Broccoli & Cheese Soup – Crock Pot Recipe […]