Broccoli Cheese Soup ~ Slow Cooker Recipe

Broccoli cheese soup in the slow cooker

This soup is a family favorite that I serve when I am hosting a big crowd, as in 20+ people. That probably only happens once or twice a year and if the gathering is during the fall or winter, this soup is most likely on the menu.

Serve with Zucchini Basil Corn Muffins or homemade Artisan Bread.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

(from my mother)

• 16 oz Cheese Whiz
  • 4 cans Cream of Celery Soup
  • 1 quart half and half
  • 4 (10 oz) packs frozen chopped broccoli

Combine all four ingredients in a crock pot (at least 6 quart) and cook on low for 5 hours. Stir well and cook on low for an additional hour. This recipe can be cut in half for a smaller crowd.

Some day I’m going to experiment and create a recipe using real food and not cheese whiz and canned cream soup. But right now this recipe is so simple and perfect for big crowds and I have never had a single complaint. There are rarely leftovers.

Print recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup.

Click the link for more soup recipes. Also follow me on Pinterest where I am always adding soup and slow cooker recipes.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

1. says

thanks for posting this recipe..just shows that you are real, just like most of us.
    looks yummy,sinful ( quart of half and half? )and easy. and yes I will try it soon!!

• DOUGY says

2. Missi B. says

I made this last night and it was so so SO YUMMY!! Thanks for posting this recipe – it was so easy to make – and I wouldn’t be ashamed – I’d be proud you can make such a BIG & hearty meal on such few ingredients – GENIUS!!! Thanks again, I will be making this for a LONG time!

3. Anonymous says

OMG – I brought this to our office xmas luncheon before ‘testing the recipe’!! IT was so YUMMY!!

4. Anonymous says

I’m adding some leftover ham to mine and will serve it tomorrow night after our snow storm here in Maryland.

5. says

Made this last night and it was great!

I used regular Cheese Whiz (I was looking for “Light”, but my store doesn’t carry it), fat free half and half, reduced fat/sodium cream of celery soup, plus I threw in the remainder of a small block of Velveeta. Everyone had seconds!

Thank for the recipe!

6. says

I made half the recipe and it was enough for me, my husband and three of our boys (9, 8, and 2yo). I don’t like Cheese Whiz, so I used two cans of cheese soup and a can of cream of onion. At the 5 hour mark, I added 1 Cup real cheddar cheese, 1 Cup diced ham, and Tastefully Simple “Onion Onion” and “Garlic Garlic” seasoning. It was really REALLY good! Will definitely do this again. Maybe next time have crumbled bacon to sprinkle on top.

7. Anonymous says

I’m trying this tonight! I’m also using Velveeta so we’ll see how it turns out! Thanks for the recipe.

8. Anonymous says

Tried this tonight and my family loved it…I will be fixing it again..Thanks for sharing :)

9. says

I made this last night & it was fantastic! I had to improvise with what was in the house so I used frozen broccoli & cauliflower, 2 cans of cheddar cheese soup & 2 cans of cream of chicken, with the cheese whiz, skim milk & grated a little nutmeg & shredded cheese on top. This was definitely a favorite!
    Thank you!

10. Anonymous says

All ingredients in the slow cooker now. I’m going to add some leftover rotisserie chicken from last night. I also picked up a french baguette to “dip”. Can’t wait to taste it!

11. Anonymous says

I made this today. It is SO good! I used what I had available so I improvised a little bit but it is truly delicious. I used fat free half and half and it came out thick and rich. Definitely a keeper. Thank you!!! :)

12. Anonymous says

Cut the recipe in half and also made it with the 2% Milk Velveeta, and Land O Lakes fat free half and half, it was delish! Thanks!

13. Anonymous says

Is the cream of celery soup you use condensed? If yes, do you also add one can of water or just soup? Thanks!

14. Anonymous says

I have this in my crock pot now for an after church dinner with my husbands extended family… All 70 of them! Looks delicious so far! I have added 16 oz of velveeta instead of the cheese whiz (I already had it on hand) and used the 16 oz bags of frozen chopped broccoli, I’ve used 2 of the bags so far but have an extra bag on hand incase it condenses down as it cooks. Thank you so much for the recipe,i love simple crock pot recipes! :)

Young newlywed

15. Anonymous says

Wow… Could you squeeze anymore fat and sodium into this dish? Yuck!

Well, I’m off for my daily run while the rest of you make this crap, eat the whole pot, then bitch and moan about your ass getting too big to fit into your jeans.

16. says

Just made this tonight but used 16oz Velveeta cheese instead and WOW! It came out amazing. So simple and so delicious. This is the first post I have ever responded to and had to once I tasted this soup. I absolutely love Pinera bread’s Broccoli cheddar soup and this is even better. I highly recommend this to everyone.

17. Anonymous says

Absolutely loved this. So convenient. Not everyone has time to harvest the grains and gut the game before dinner. This is 2013. This is considered a meal. A good one too!

18. Anonymous says

I am making this for the second time. I forgot to comment before. I used 2 cans of cheese soup, 1 can cream of celery and 1 can of cream of chicken and added a big handful of shredded cheddar (in place of the cheese whiz) once it was hot and starting to look like soup. I also used fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and it was still rich and thick. My whole family absolutely loved this. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!

19. Anonymous says

Just wondering….on the original site it says to use 4 cans cream of celery soup…when I clicked to print the recipe…it calls for 2 cans cream of celery soup. Is it 4 or 2? Really want to try this recipe for my daughter…

• says

The printed version is for a smaller crowd and is half of the post recipe. If you are just making for a few people I would go with the the printed version.

Thanks for the comment.

20. Jecca says

Made this today which was perfect as its been cold here! Followed the recipe fully, just added taste for myself…sprinkled shredded sharp cheddar onto the top as garnish. Absolutely amazingly delicious soup! Simple to put together quick and run if needed! Nothing better than a hot cup of soup on a cold day! And enough to last a few days too!! Thanks for sharing!!

21. twylanthor says

This soup is amazing I got nothing but compliments. I used my own recipe for cream of anything soup and a entire bunch of celery. Thank you so much for the recipe I’m making it again tonight.

• Kristia Ludwick says

You’re welcome! I need to make my own cream of anything soup–I think that will be my next project.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

22. Amanda says

How many does the recipe typically yield? I am going on a ski trip this weekend with about 12 other people (mostly guys). I’m just unsure of whether the original recipe would be enough or if I should double it? Hoping this is as good as everybody raves and can’t wait to try it!

23. says

This seems so easy to make! It is in the crockpot tonight! I am happy that I read through the comments for some seasoning suggestions also!

24. Grace says

I’ve finally found a recipe for this soup without onions, thank you! I love them but my family doesn’t. I was wondering if you could use another type of soup instead of the cream of celery. I DETEST celery. :( Suggestions?

• says

Honestly, I’ve never tried it with another type of soup. The cream of celery doesn’t leave a celery flavor in the soup that I can remember. Browse through the comments. A lot of commenters offered suggestions.

25. Lizzie says

tried your soup and it was delicious. my picky eater husband said it was perfect for a cool autumn day. thanks!