I can polish off a whole bag of lime flavored tortilla chips and a container of salsa in less than 24 hours…all by myself! It is a vice that I really must get control of.
When fresh tomatoes aren’t available for homemade salsa, I’ll settle for store-bought, but it can be so expensive. So I took a chance and whipped up a batch of homemade salsa using canned tomatoes for a recent taco dinner.
And guess what? It was delicious! It had a much fresher taste than store bought, because even though the tomatoes were canned, I used other fresh veggies and herbs. The price was about $1.50.
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with zesty mild green chilies, drained
- 1/4 - 1/2 red onion, chopped. Depending on your love of onions.
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (I had chopped parsley in the freezer from my garden)
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. For less zesty-ness, use plain diced tomatoes.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
- have updates sent to your email,
- through your RSS Feed
- become a fan and ‘like’ FBS on Facebook
- become a Twitter follower