Chicken, Pinto Beans & Rice Casserole is a hearty and versatile dish. If you don’t have pinto beans, replace them with another bean, such as red or white or black or chick peas. Cooked pinto beans were in my freezer, so that is what I grabbed. I had a lot of beans and rice leftover (the chicken was devoured at dinner), so I used it as a filling for burritos the next day.
Chicken, Pinto Beans & Rice Casserole
Inspired and Adapted from Family Circle
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock, or store bought
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups uncooked long grain rice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a 6 qt. lidded Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes each side. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside on a plate.
3. Add the garlic, onion, and pepper; stir and cook until softened. Scrap the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned chicken bits and mix in with the garlic/onion/pepper mixture. This will add flavor to the dish.
4. Add the cumin, oregano, stock, beans, tomatoes, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
5. Bring the stock to a simmer and add the rice. Stir to combine. Add the chicken back to the pan. Cover and move the Dutch oven to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the rice has cooked all the way through and the liquid is absorbed.
Print recipe for Chicken, Pinto Beans & Rice Casserole.