We love amusement parks, but the admission price for my family makes me cringe. We live just minutes away from Hersheypark and the regular admission fee ranges from free to 56.95, depending on your age. Unfortunately, my kids are past the 'free' age, so it would cost my family of 4 over $185 to spend the day at Hersheypark. OUCH! We would spend $144 at its sister park, Dutch Wonderland. OUCH!
So what's a family to do? Sit at home. Nope! Here are a few tips to help save you money on those amusement park tickets:
1. Sunset AdmissionMany amusement parks offer reduced prices after dark. Check your local parks for details. The perks of riding in the evenings are that it is much cooler and the park crowd seems to taper off a bit, which makes the lines shorter. I also love to ride the rides at night under the park lights. At Hersheypark, the sunset admission, between the hours of 5pm - 10pm, would cost my family of four $107.80.
2. Seasonal PassesIf your family loves amusement rides and lives very close to a park, seasonal passes might make a lot of sense. Using Hersheypark as an example, a season pass would cost my family of four $580. Sounds expensive, but lets do the math. We would only have to go 5 times at sunset or 3 times at regular admission for it to pay for itself. Plus, there are plenty of other perks for season ticket holders: unlimited park admission during the summer, free parking, 15% off food and merchandise, and free admission for off season park openings, such as Springtime in Hershey, Hersheypark in the Dark, and Christmas Candylane.
3. Military DiscountsMany parks offer admission discounts if you are active duty military, reserves, retired military personnel, or a member of the National Guard. Again, using Hersheypark as a reference (check amusement parks near you), show your military ID at guest services outside the main entrance for a military discount.
4. AAA DiscountAre you a member of AAA? Check AAA's site to see if there are discounts for your favorite attractions.
Does the price of amusment parks prevent you from going? How do you save on your favorite amusement park tickets? Let us know in the comments.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
- have updates sent to your email,
- through your RSS Feed
- become a fan and 'like' FBS on Facebook
- become a Twitter follower