Turkey & Black Bean Chili is so easy to throw together in the morning and a perfect meal for those hectic, crazy weeknights. Serve with corn bread, fresh fruit and salad.
This recipe is very easy to alter. Spice it up with a can of fire-roasted tomatoes or tomatoes with zesty green chilies--the varieties now seem endless. I'm the only person in my family who likes heat, so I have to use regular diced tomatoes or the dish will go uneaten.
You can also substitute the cooked ground turkey for other forms of cooked meat, like sausage and chicken. However, if you choose to use uncooked ground meat, your cooking time will be 7-8 hours on low. Personally, I do not like to cook ground meat in a slow cooker. It doesn’t have as much flavor as ground meat that has been browned on the stove top. That’s why I’m in favor of batch browning ground meat or sausage and freezing portions for dishes just like this one.
Turkey & Black Bean Chili in the Slow Cooker
- 2 cups frozen cooked ground turkey
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, chopped or 1 cup frozen chopped peppers
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- your favorite shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
InstructionsCombine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. At 5 ½ hours, stir well and cook for another half hour.
Top with shredded cheese when serving.
This makes a big batch of chili. Some ideas for the leftovers:
- Use it as a topping for nachos.
- Make a wrap and add your favorite toppings, like salsa, avocado, sour cream.
- Make Stuffed Peppers.
- Freeze for later use.
Print recipe for Turkey & Black Bean Chili in the Slow Cooker.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
- have updates sent to your email,
- through your RSS Feed
- become a fan and 'like' FBS on Facebook
- become a Twitter follower