Last month, our Honda Odyssey was due for its state inspection. The good news is that it passed. The bad news is that all four tires should be replaced and rebalanced before winter. $700.
Last week, our 13 year old dryer stopped working. Have you seen the price of new dryers? No thank you. We called a local repairman. $200.
Finally, we’re still putting money aside for a cash Christmas and need about $100 in additional funds to reach our goal.
And that my friends is how you spend $1000–it adds up quickly.
Do You Need $1000 Too?
Are you on Dave Ramsey’s baby step 1 and trying to save $1000 for your emergency fund?
Or maybe you have a major home repair that took you by surprise.
Or maybe you have a trip to somewhere tropical and fun over the holidays.
And speaking of holidays, maybe you just want to plan for a cash Christmas.
Or maybe you want to buy 25 turkeys for the local food bank or sponsor Salvation Army families this Christmas.
Whatever your need, our goal by the end of October is to find $1000.
In the month of October, I’m participating in The Nester’s 31 Days event and my challenge will be to find $1000. Mondays thru Saturdays in October, I will have ideas to help you find $1000 too. On Sundays, we’ll meet here to catch our breath and let everyone know how we’re finding our $1000.
To help track your progress, I created a 31 Days to Find $1000 tally sheet (google doc) to post on your refrigerator. It will be a daily reminder of your goal. Fill it out as you raise your money and total it at the end of October.
Every day, I’ll add the link here of each new post after it publishes.
- Day 1: Make October a “Needs” Only Month
- Day 2: Have a Yard Sale
- Day 3: Sell Your Big Stuff on Craigslist
- Day 4: Find a Seasonal Part-Time Retail Job
- Day 5: Return Unused Purchases
- Day 6: Found Cash Update
- Day 7: Make Money from Your Skills
- Day 8: Sell Your Unused Video Games
- Day 9: Plan a Low Heat Challenge
- Day 10: Sell Your Gold Jewelry for Cash
- Day 11: Cancel Your Cable TV
- Day 12: How to Get a FREE Gym Membership
- Day 13: Update #2
- Day 14: Reduce Your Grocery Spending without Sacrificing Quality
- Day 15: Skip the AM Drive-Thru and Eat Breakfast at Home
- Day 16: Shop Thrift or Consignment Stores
- Day 17: Find FREE or Low Cost Family Entertainment
- Day 18: I had a yard sale and didn’t have much time to get online.
- Day 19: I was out of town and offline.
- Day 20: I ran a half marathon and offline
- Day 21: Playing catch up from being out of town for 2 days. Loads of laundry to do.
- Day 22: FINALLY…a new post: Do-It-Yourself and SAVE!
- Day 23: Brown-Bag Your Lunch & SAVE!
- Day 24: Cash In Your Loose Change
- Day 25: Rethink Your Christmas Spending
- Day 26: crazy day spent offline.
- Day 27: Update #3 How much we found so far.
- Day 28: Are You Paying Too Much?
- Day 29: Eat Dinner at Home & SAVE!
- Day 30: Increase Your Income
- Day 31: How Much Cash Did We Find?
Care to join me on this challenge? Let us know in the comments. I’ll see you on October 1st!
Check out my 31 Days to Find $1000 Pinterest board where I’ll be updating daily.
This post is linked to Thrifty Thursday.