Does your handbag weigh as much as one of your kids? Does it hold everything but the proverbial kitchen sink?
This week’s decluttering challenge is a Purse Purge. Last week, we organized our wallets, so it’s only natural that we clean out and organize our handbags too.
Like my wallet, my handbag is fairly neat & tidy and it only takes a little effort to keep it that way.
I have two handbags that are my staples. I don’t change handbags depending on what outfit I’m wearing, but rather, what I need for the day. I’ve had these bags for years. They are classic styles, but colorful, and both bags match most of my wardrobe. I wear a lot of blues, browns, and greens.
My two main handbags are:
My Fossil Shopper in Aqua. I carry this bag if I’m going somewhere where I need a book, or my planner, my iPad, or bulkier items. This color makes me happy and I carry the bag year round.
This bag is large enough for bulky items, but I try to only carry my main essentials so it doesn’t get too heavy.
If I don’t need those extra bulky items, I use my Fossil crossbody green bag. I like that this bag is hands-free. It comes in handy often when my kids are with me.
To keep my bag organized, light weight, and for ease of switching between the two bags, I carry only a few things:
- my wallet
- a gift card holder
- a cosmetic bag that holds my small essentials
- my phone
- and sunglasses
Tips for Keeping a Tidy Handbag
- Go through your bag regularly, taking out what you don’t need and discarding any trash. Be ruthless about purging.
- Keep your wallet organized.
- Don’t pick an over-sized handbag or you’ll just fill it with stuff. Choose a size that best fits your needs.
- Keep all of your small personal essentials contained in one cosmetic bag. Mine holds my gloss, feminine hygiene items, small hand wipes packets, mints or Ricolas, small hand cream, band-aids, and a pen.
Will you take this week’s decluttering challenge to purge and organize your purse? Let us know in the comments.
Shopping guide: (these are affiliate links)
- Fossil Hunter Tote in Black, Chestnut, Bone, or Red. (I don’t see it in Aqua). I bought mine on sale at a department store.
- Fossil crossbody bag in Yellow. This is not the exact bag as my green one, but very similar.
Disclosure – This post contains affiliate links that help support this site at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Family Balance Sheet! You can read the site’s full disclosure here.