I love tacos and they are a regular on my menu. To save money, I always buy ground meat in 3 lbs or larger packs. The larger the pack, the lower the price per pound, and I can get make at least 3 meals from the 3 lbs of meat.
To save time, I turn those large packs of ground meat into a big batch of Turkey & Black Bean Taco Meat. I store the taco meat in the freezer and then I always have a tasty protein ready for a quick dinner.
Turkey & Black Bean Taco Meat ~ a freezer meal recipe
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or dutch oven large enough to handle 3 lbs of meat.
- Brown the meat until cooked through. If using beef, you might want to drain any excess grease.
- Add the water, beans, and taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use immediately and/or divide into freezer containers or bags. The entire mixture can be divided into at least 3 (32 oz) freezer containers. I also divide into smaller 2-3 cup portions.