Chili is so easy, healthy, and inexpensive that everyone should have it in their recipe stash. It is also very comforting on a cold, snowy day.
Canned diced tomatoes come in different flavors now, rather than just plain. I like using the flavored tomatoes, like the fire-roasted with garlic in the photo or Basil, Garlic and Oregano.
Red and White Chicken Chili
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped (you can certainly use green, if you’d like)
- 2 cans great northern beans – drained ans rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, you pick the flavor
- 6-7 cups of chicken stock – (recipe for homemade chicken stock)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions for the Stove Top
1. Over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large soup pot. Add the onions, peppers, garlic and chicken. (These chopped peppers are the last of my freezer stash from summer.)
2. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the vegetables are soft.
3. Add the chicken stock, beans, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, and salt. (The funny cylinders in my soup pot are my frozen homemade chicken stock.)
4. Simmer for one hour and stir occasionally….does it get any easier than that??
Freezer Prep/Slow Cooker: Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE STOCK in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. When ready to use, place bag in refrigerator overnight to thaw. In the morning, pour the ingredients in the slow cooker along with the chicken stock and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat into small pieces. Place meat back in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Print recipe for Red & White Chicken Chili.