Chicken Cornbread Potpie
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock, or store-bought
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 12 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ pepper
- 1 tsp Italian herbs, or your favorite herb that goes well with chicken
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk, or regular milk
- ¼ cup olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the flour and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking while slowly adding the stock. Bring filling to a boil, stirring the entire time. The filling will start to thicken.
4. Add the chicken, vegetables, salt, pepper and seasonings and mix the filling together well.
5. Pour filling into a 11 X 7 baking pan that was lightly coated with cooking spray or olive oil. Set aside to make the topping.
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda.
2. Combine the milk, egg and oil and add to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
3. Spread the mixture over the filling. Place baking dish on a rimmed cookie sheet in case of potpie bubbling over. Bake about 20-22 minutes until the topping is golden brown and baked completely.
This dish goes well with a salad and homemade applesauce.
Print recipe for Chicken Cornbread Potpie.