We love Chicken Fajitas and this grilled version is very easy to prepare and was a hit with my family.
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sweet pepper, core and seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- ½ red onion, cut into thin strips
- 6 – 8 fajita size tortillas
- your favorite fajita toppings, such as avocado, cheese, sour cream, salsa
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- juice and zest from 1 lime, about 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoon homemade fajita seasoning
1. Pre-heat grill to high.
2. Place the chicken breasts in a plastic bag or between plastic wrap and pound the chicken with a rolling pin, heavy pan, or meat mallet until about evenly ½ inch thick.
3. Combine marinade ingredients. Place chicken in a bowl and drizzle marinade over chicken covering completely. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Place pepper and onion slices on a large piece of foil. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Wrap foil up into a hobo packet. (Check out my Peppers and Onions Hobo Pack post for pictures.)
5. When the grill hits at least 450 degrees, place the chicken and the hobo packet on the middle of the grill. Close the lid. I don’t let the grill go too much over 450 degrees.
6. Cook 6 minutes and flip the chicken and hobo packet. Close lid and cook an additional 4 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the chicken breast should read 155 degrees F.
7. Remove from grill and let the chicken sit for 5 minutes before cutting into. After 5 minutes, slice chicken into strips.
8. Layer the peppers, onions, chicken strips, and your favorite toppings onto a tortilla.
Does your chicken tend to dry out on the grill? Read How to Grill Chicken Breast Without Drying It Out Like the Sahara.