Homemade pizza night is a big hit at my house during the colder months, but who wants to turn the oven on in the middle of summer?
When I attempted to grill pizza, I soon realized just how quick and easy it is to grill. So keep your oven turned off and enjoy your pizza hot off the grill.
How to Grill Pizza
- your favorite pizza dough – I use this homemade pizza dough recipe, but you can use store-bought too.
- your favorite pizza toppings: sauce, cheese, veggies, meat, etc.
- olive oil
1. Preheat the grill to medium, around 400 degrees.
2. I find it easier to do the prep work inside and then take it all outside, so while your grill is heating up, roll your favorite pizza dough into pies.
Instead of making one large pie, I made 2 – 4 smaller ones–they’re easier to handle. I have a pizza peel, but I also used the under side of an un-rimmed cookie sheet to carry the dough. Pull together your favorite toppings. You’ll also need a little olive oil, a grill brush, and long tongs.
3. Using a grill basting brush, carefully brush olive oil on the grill. My brush endures heat up to 500 degrees, so be aware of heat. You don’t want to melt your brush.
4. Place pizza dough on the hot grill. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. After 3-4 minutes, the dough will start to bubble and turn golden brown on the underside. You can grill the pizza longer if you want it more crispy. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
6. Using long grill tongs, flip the dough.
7. Add your toppings to the pizza. Close the lid and grill for another 3-4 minutes or until the bottom of the pizza is golden brown. Remove pizza from grill using your pizza peel or the rimless cookie sheet.
Do you grill pizza? What are your favorite toppings? Let us know in the comments.
Life with Kaishon says
I never even thought of grilling pizza! This looks yumm-o!
Barb @ A Life in Balance says
Cool! I have to try this! I really need to get my dh to show me how to work the grill.