In one month, our Honda Odyssey was due for its state inspection. The good news is that it passed. The bad news is that all four tires should be replaced and rebalanced before winter. $700.
The same month, our 13 year old dryer stopped working. Have you seen the price of new dryers? No thank you. We called a local repairman. $200. (2018 Update: The dryer worked for another 5 years after that service call, so worth the $200 spent.)
Also in the same month, we needed $100 in additional funds to reach our goal of paying for a cash Christmas.
And that my friends, is how you spend $1000–it adds up quickly.
Could you use $1000? Are you up for a challenge? Back in 2013, I needed to find $1000, so I turned it into a blog challenge that continues to be one of my most viewed post ideas.
What would you do with $1000?
Would you put it towards next month’s budget?
Would you use it for a major home repair that took you by surprise?
Would you put it towards a family vacation?
Do you want to plan for a cash Christmas?
Would you put it towards a loan?
Or maybe you want to buy 25 turkeys for the local food bank or sponsor Salvation Army families at Christmas.
Whatever your need, our goal by the end of 31 days is to find $1000.
For 31 Days in May 2018, my challenge will be to find $1000. You can join the challenge too on my closed Facebook group: Family Budgeters Unite!
On Mondays through Saturdays, I will post ideas to help you find the $1000. On Sundays, we’ll meet to catch our breath and share an update on how we’re finding our $1000.
To help track your progress, I created a 31 Days to Find $1000 tally sheet (google doc) to post on your refrigerator. It will be a daily reminder of your goal. Fill it out as you raise your money and total it at the end of the 31 Days.
For a preview of ideas, here’s a recap of the previous challenge that I had on the blog in 2013:
- Day 1: Make October a “Needs” Only Month
- Day 2: Have a Yard Sale
- Day 3: Sell Your Big Stuff on Craigslist
- Day 4: Find a Seasonal Part-Time Retail Job
- Day 5: Return Unused Purchases
- Day 6: Found Cash Update
- Day 7: Make Money from Your Skills
- Day 8: Sell Your Unused Video Games
- Day 9: Plan a Low Heat Challenge
- Day 10: Sell Your Gold Jewelry for Cash
- Day 11: Cancel Your Cable TV
- Day 12: How to Get a FREE Gym Membership
- Day 13: Update #2
- Day 14: Reduce Your Grocery Spending without Sacrificing Quality
- Day 15: Skip the AM Drive-Thru and Eat Breakfast at Home
- Day 16: Shop Thrift or Consignment Stores
- Day 17: Find FREE or Low Cost Family Entertainment
- Day 18: I had a yard sale and didn’t have much time to get online.
- Day 19: I was out of town and offline.
- Day 20: I ran a half marathon and offline
- Day 21: Playing catch up from being out of town for 2 days. Loads of laundry to do.
- Day 22: FINALLY…a new post: Do-It-Yourself and SAVE!
- Day 23: Brown-Bag Your Lunch & SAVE!
- Day 24: Cash In Your Loose Change
- Day 25: Rethink Your Christmas Spending
- Day 26: crazy day spent offline.
- Day 27: Update #3 How much we found so far.
- Day 28: Are You Paying Too Much?
- Day 29: Eat Dinner at Home & SAVE!
- Day 30: Increase Your Income
- Day 31: How Much Cash Did We Find? <—Find out how I did on the challenge!
Care to join me on this challenge? You can follow along and join the challenge on the closed Facebook Group: Family Budgeters Unite!