My family loves baked oatmeal in the morning. I’ve been making it almost once a week since school began, so it was only natural that I added fall apples to my most recent batch.
I usually make baked oatmeal on Sunday night for the week and I store it in the refrigerator after it cools. In the morning, I heat each serving in the microwave and then we add milk to eat.
If school or work mornings are hectic for you, making a pan of baked oatmeal will definitely help breakfast time go more smoothly.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups 2% milk
- ½ cup homemade applesauce, or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped fine
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg and mix well. Fold in the apples.
- Prepare an 11 X 7 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour the batter into the dish and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.