Target Cartwheel is FUN!
Target is my favorite one-stop shop and over the weekend, I discovered their Cartwheel program and found myself saving additional money on items that I was going to buy anyway. If you shop at Target, then you are going to love this program.
The Cartwheel program helps you save on the things you already buy at Target. Using either the iPhone or Droid native apps, guests can scan any barcode in store to see if that item has a Cartwheel offer on it. There are hundreds of offers with discounts of 5-50% off in every area of the store. Just add an offer to your Cartwheel list, scan your Cartwheel barcode at the check out, and save. It’s pretty easy.
Here’s how Cartwheel works:
1. Create a Cartwheel account from your desktop or mobile browser at Cartwheel.com, or download the apps from the App Store or Google Play. There are two ways to sign up:
- Use your Facebook login to sign up with Cartwheel. This will enable you to see what offers your friends have on their Cartwheel lists in the app experience as well as via Facebook’s open graph stories. If you want to use your Facebook login, but do not want your Cartwheel activity posted to Facebook, you can manage that by not allowing Facebook to post on their behalf during the authentication process. You can also manage this at any time via the app privacy settings. Simply add any offer to their list as “private.” This will keep from any story being posted to Facebook about that offer.
- OR, Use your Target.com login to enter Cartwheel. This is how I am managing my Cartwheel account, since I already had a Target.com login.
2. Once you create a Cartwheel account, you will be assigned your own unique, single scan barcode. To redeem your Cartwheel offers, this barcode will be scanned at the very end of your checkout, after any other coupons or discounts are deducted.
3. Also when you create a Cartwheel account, you are given 10 Cartwheel spots (offers) to use. You can earn more spots when badges are awarded. For each badge that is earned, a new spot on your Cartwheel list is opened. They are awarded for reaching savings milestones ($10, $25, $50, etc.), interacting with Cartwheel (example: adding an offer from a collection to your list), and via social sharing (an invited friend who joins Cartwheel).
4. Start browsing for the available offers and discounts at Cartwheel.Target.com. There are more than 700 offers in Cartwheel. I found it easier to view the offers on my computer when I was at home, but the phone app is very easy to use. When you find an offer you want, just add your offers to your Cartwheel account.
5. Start shopping. Once at the store, locate your items on your Cartwheel list. For items not already on your Cartwheel list, use the app on your phone to scan the barcode to see if there is a Cartwheel offer available that you weren’t aware of. I found an awesome deal that I didn’t know about just by scanning the item’s barcode. I’ll tell you all about it below.
Additional Details about the Cartwheel Program
1. Coupons & Discount Stacking. Guests are able to use Cartwheel with any other Target discounts or coupons, manufacturers’ coupons and their REDcard discount. This is a HUGE way to save additional money.
2. Multi-use offers. Guests are able to use any offer on their list as many times as they wish until the offer expires, with the following exceptions: limit of 4 items per offer, per transaction; limit of 6 Cartwheel scans per day. So, if there was an offer for 10% off 20 ounce bottles of Diet Coke, a guest could purchase 4 bottles of Diet Coke in one transaction and the offer discount would be applied to all 4 bottles of Diet Coke. That same guest could do this up to 6 times in one day, for a total of 24 bottles of Diet Coke.
3. Cartwheel collections are curated lists of offers that make it easy for the guest on the go to add items to her list. The collections are created to support seasonal offerings and categorical offers (grocery, women’s apparel, baby items, etc.). Collections are not comprehensive lists of all offers.
4. Cartwheel can only be used on in-store purchases.
My First Shopping Experience with Target Cartwheel
My shopping list:
- tortilla chips
- can opener – I just broke mine.
- Browse the shower curtain section. We’re going to makeover our full bathroom and I’m on the look out for a shower curtain that my husband and I agree on.
- popcorn – While shopping, I received a frantic text from my family that we were OUT of popcorn and to not come home without it.
Prior to my trip, I reviewed Target’s printable coupons from their website and the Cartwheel offers and found 2 coupons that I could stack with Cartwheel:
Item #1: Simply Balanced tortilla chips were on sale for $2.50. Along with a $1.25 printable coupon and a 5% discount from Cartwheel, the final price for the 12 oz bag of chips down was $1.18.
Item #2: I found a can opener with a printable coupon for 20% off, plus a 30% off Cartwheel offer. The final price for the $9.99 can opener was $5.59.
My most exciting deal was the shower curtain that I found on clearance. I was unaware of any Cartwheel offers, so I used my smartphone Cartwheel app to scan the shower curtain’s barcode. To my surprise, there was a Cartwheel offer of 25% off Threshold Bedding & Bath. The shower curtain was already marked down to a clearance price of $13.98 and with the 25% off Cartwheel offer, the final price was $10.48. And best of all, my husband likes the shower curtain!
Since Target allows an offer up to 4 times, I also purchased a Threshold shower liner with the 25% off Threshold Bedding & Bath discount. The retail for the liner was $10.79 and with the discount, the price of the liner became $8.09.
I had luck finding Cartwheel offers on the popcorn and eggs. I scanned their barcodes in the store and found that the eggs were discounted at 5% and the popcorn was discounted at 10%. I added those two offers to my Cartwheel app. I needed these two items regardless of any discount, so the offers were a pleasant surprise.
In all, I saved $9.15 from the Cartwheel discounts.
My final thoughts on Target Cartwheel
This program was very easy to maneuver. Signing up, browsing for offers, loading offers to my account, checking for offers in the store, and finally scanning my barcode at check out was all very easy. Be sure to scan all of your purchases’ barcodes with your phone app to find offers and load them to your account before you check out to insure you receive the discount. I will now be using the Target Cartwheel app regularly on all of my trips to Target.
Enter the Sweepstakes for a Chance to Win a $1,000 Target GiftCard®
Answer the following question in the comments: What excites you most about the Target Cartwheel program?
1. No duplicate comments.
2. You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post.
3. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
4. This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
5. The Official Rules are available here.
6. This sweepstakes runs from 1/30 – 2/28.
Be sure to visit the Target Cartwheel brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!