New year. Fresh start. Lots of possibilities and many opportunities.
Every January 1, I get caught up in the hopeful feeling of the upcoming new year. And 2015 is no different.
My husband and I make some financial goals at the start of every year. Most of them are related to our small business, my husband’s chiropractic office, but last January I got a bee in my bonnet about debt…thank you, Dave Ramsey.
tricked…nudged my husband into following along and together we wrote out our Debt Freedom Plan. We made some head way in 2014 but we have a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG way to go.
When I run the numbers, I realize it’s going to take years before we can scream, “WE’RE DEBT FREE”, our ultimate goal.
There’s just one problem.
I am painfully inpatient.
I don’t want to wait years. I want it NOW!!!!!!
Tantrum aside, it’s still going to take years, but there is room for us to make some considerable progress in 2015. Although it will take hard work and sacrifice on our part. This is the year that we will be very intense about paying off our debt.
This is the year that we will control our money instead of our debt and fear controlling us.
In 2015, I will be sharing our journey to significantly reduce our debt. I’ll continue to offer additional money saving tips, ideas, strategies and recipes like I always have, but I have some new themes that I will be starting next week.
My Themes for 2015:
I started the Debt Free Stories interview series back in September and it has been really well received. These will continue as long as I can find people don’t mind being open and transparent about their debt free story. If you’ve missed the previous interviews, you can find them HERE.
I aim to publish two interviews a month and usually on Wednesdays.
2. Choose Thrift First Challenge
For the past two years, I held monthly accountability challenges on the blog. In 2013, The Christmas Savings Club encouraged all of us to save monthly so that we could have a cash Christmas.
In 2014, the Grocery Budget Challenge encouraged us to keep our grocery spending in line and to be creative with our meal planning so that we do not over-spend.
In 2015, the monthly challenge will be the Choose Thrift First Challenge. We will be challenging ourselves to resist buying retail and instead choose thrift by borrowing, buying second hand, or making do with what we already have. I’ll go into more detail in an upcoming post.
3. Weekly Meals on a Budget
Maintaining a grocery budget is a weekly process for me. When I blow off meal planning, I blow up our grocery budget.
I liked having an accountability challenge here on the blog in 2014, but this year I’m going to try something different by posting our weekly meals while sticking to our $400-$500 budget.
I will try to post this weekly, but could be bi-weekly, depending on my schedule. This should start next week and my goal is to post on Fridays.
4. How We Saved
I will be sharing how we saved in our every day lives. This will either be weekly or monthly, depending on how much content I have.
5. How We Live
I will be sharing more about my family’s everyday life. I’ll try not to keep this too mundane and boring for ya!
In 2015, Let’s Take Control of Our Money
I hope you’ll join me this year as we resolve to take control of our money. My husband and I are pumped to make 2015 the best year ever.
There are several ways to follow me and Family Balance Sheet:
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter. You’ll receive an email every Friday listing that week’s posts. I’ll only post separately if something is time sensitive.
- Add Family Balance Sheet to your RSS feed.
- Follow me on Pinterest.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Follow me on Instagram.
- Follow me on Facebook.
Happy New Year! I’ve joined over 40 other bloggers to help us all make 2015 the best year ever! Be sure to check out these great posts.
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
2. 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl’s Guide to Project Management
3. How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
4. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
5. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
6. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
7. 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
8. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
9. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ a Sonoma Garden
10. 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season…Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
11. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
12. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
13. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
14. Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
15. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
16. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
17. Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
18. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
19. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
20. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra’s Kitchen
21. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
22. 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
23. Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ The Memory Journalists
24. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
25. New Year’s Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
26. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
27. 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
28. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
29. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
30. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
31. Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
32. How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
33. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
34. Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble ‘N Squeak
35. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
36. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
37. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
38. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
39. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
40. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
41. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Fashion Resolutions: How to Add Style to Any Outfit | Ellen Christian @ The Socialite’s Closet
This post is linked to Frugal Friday.