This post was originally published as a sponsored post back in 2015. Today, I’m updating it since a lot has changed at GIANT. This updated post is not sponsored.
As the home manager, my mission is to serve my family quality and tasty food on our limited budget. GIANT Food Stores of PA has been part of my weekly grocery shopping routine for years. In fact, their corporate buying office is in my hometown and I worked there while I was in college.
I am very familiar with the store, its pricing strategy, its setup, and how to save and stretch my grocery budget dollars.
Ways to Save at Giant Food Stores
1. Sign up for the loyalty program, Giant Choice Rewards.
This is key because, at GIANT, you need to join the loyalty program to take advantage of the weekly Bonus Buy savings and earn the rewards points. Look for the red Bonus Buy Savings signs throughout the store.
2. Create an Online Account and Download the App.
Visit GiantFoodStores.com to create an account and you’ll be able to:
- View your local store’s weekly circular.
- Order your groceries online for either pickup or delivery.
- Load digital coupons to your BONUSCARD® to be redeemed when you present the card at check out with the qualifying purchase.
- Refill prescriptions.
Once you have an account, download the GIANT app and start saving. I use the app to load my digital coupons, order groceries for pick up, and keep track of my rewards.
The digital coupons vary from week to week. I always check the app for the current coupons when I write out my grocery list and load them to my card.
3. Earn Choice Rewards
Use your loyalty card at check out and earn one point for every dollar spent in stores (after coupons and savings). Every week, they also offer additional ways to earn Choice Rewards either from the purchase of participating products or from a circular coupon. There’s no limit to the number of Rewards Points that you can earn, however, there might be limits per promotion.
Points are valid for 30 days and can be redeemed for rewards, like savings dollars, gas savings, and special promotions. Also, points expire on the last day of the month following the one in which they were received and can be redeemed up until midnight on the expiration date.
- Gas Savings: For every 100 points you earn, you’ll receive 10¢ off per gallon up to a maximum of 25 gallons of fuel per vehicle per purchase.
- Grocery Dollars: Turn your choice points into in-store cash. For every 100 points that you earn, you’ll earn $1 off at checkout. The maximum amount of points that can be redeemed per transaction is 2,000. Any remaining points can be applied to a future discount.
- Special Offers: Redeem your points for a variety of special offers that change regularly. Some recent examples were, Use 400 points for salmon ($9 value) and 350 points for a fried chicken dinner. It included 8 pieces of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, coleslaw, and cornbread. This dinner was a $16 value.
- Charity Donation: Redeem your points for a good cause. Every 100 points you redeem is a $1 donation to our supported charity.
To optimize your points, you need to do a little math. Currently, I have 1000 rewards points. Here are my current redemption options:
- Grocery Savings: 1000 = $1 off the gas, up to 25 gallons of fuel per vehicle per purchase. It typically takes about 17 gallons to fill up my vehicle when it is empty, so I could get $17 off a fill-up. I find gas prices to be higher side at GIANT compared to the member price at BJ’s. However, $1 off per gallon definitely makes the price better at GIANT.
- Grocery Dollars: 1000 points = $10 off Grocery Dollars
- Special Offers: Let’s use the chicken dinner that I described above as an example. The value of the dinner was $16 if I were to buy it in the store, however, the redemption was 400 points. That converts into 40 cents off per gallon of gas. This equals $6.80 off my gas bill if I were filling up my 17-gallon vehicle, or $4 off grocery dollars. I actually took advantage of the free chicken dinner offer one hectic weeknight. It was cheaper than restaurant take-out and valued higher than the gas points.
- Charity Donation: 1000 points = $10 donation to an organization of Giant’s choosing.
4. Shop the sales flyer.
Every week, GIANT includes coupons and deep discounts in their sales flyer. Focus on what’s on sale when you write your menu plan each week. These coupons are usually pretty good deals but are usually limited to 1 per coupon per transaction.
5. Shop the Loss Leaders
Every week, GIANT offers many deep discounts on everyday products, often with Buy This, Get all of this Free offers. I definitely took advantage of the Peets coffee offer. Often these types of promotions have a limit of 5 per transaction.
6. Use the Ibotta Cash Back App.
I regularly find cashback rewards on a variety of products on my list with Ibotta. Read: Ibotta Review: How I Earn Cash Back on Groceries
7. Use Manufacturers’ Coupons
Giant Food Stores offers a very fair and competitive coupon policy, but it might vary by location. See the website for specific details.
8. Compare Giant Store Brand to Name Brand
I have never had a problem with the quality and/or taste of Giant store brands. I always compare the price per unit of a store brand product to the name brand version when making a buying decision. Occasionally, Giant has offered a Buy a Name Brand and Receive the Giant Brand version FREE. This is a great opportunity to try store brand products.
9. Yellow Stickers = Deep Discounts
Giant Food Stores will mark down meat, bread, produce, and other products before the use or freeze by date. They mark this food with a yellow sticker and I have developed an eagle eye for the stickers, because of the 40% – 75% off savings I have found.
10. Join the Giant PA Savers Facebook Group
This helpful group is run by Shanta of the For the Mommas Blog. She shares weekly updates on sales, loss leaders, and coupon deals. I refer to the page as I’m writing my weekly menu plan. Also, members share their clearance finds and unadvertised deals.
Do you shop at Giant Food Stores? What are your best tips to save money there?
Thank you, GIANT Food Stores and Build Your Influence Summit, for sponsoring this #SavoryMagazine post. All opinions are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
I love shopping at Giant and always find the best prices! Thanks so much for sharing on behalf of the Build Your Influence Summit. Have a great day!