Homemade brownies and ice cream is my husband’s all-time favorite dessert. I made these recently and I took this simple dessert up a notch by adding the homemade whipped cream.
This brownie recipe is from my grandmother. I found it recently, although I had never made it before, but this is the brownie recipe that I grew up with. I was surprised when I saw that it called for Crisco shortening, but who am I to mess with perfection; this recipe blows away any boxed brownie mix…in my humble opinion.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- your favorite vanilla ice cream
1. Melt together the chocolate and Crisco over low heat. (You could also microwave)
2. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 4 eggs.
4. Mix until just combined and smooth.
5. Stir 1 cup of flour and 1/2 tsp salt into the chocolate mixture.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
9. Add your favorite ice cream.
10. Be really decadent and add some Homemade Whipped Cream (recipe for homemade whipped cream is at the bottom of that link).
If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS through your RSS Feed, please click here to sign up. Or sign up for FREE email updates, by submitting your email address in the top left side of this site.