One of the most read articles on this site is my post, Front Yard Landscaping: We Did It Ourselves. It chronicles our do-it-yourself project of designing and installing a new landscape for our front yard. If you have never seen ‘killer yews’, I urge you to click through to that post to look at our ‘before‘ pictures…But come back to see new pictures below.
We spent a lot of time planning the design and plants for our landscape and by doing it ourselves we saved a lot of money. We were fairly pleased with the turn out, except for the 3 Mtn. Fire Pieris plants that we planted smack dab in the middle of our bay window. It was really my fault. I didn’t realize that ‘slow growing’ meant slow growing. The rest of our plants really took off, but those three plants just didn’t fill in to the extent that we wanted them to.
We decided last fall that we were going to move them this spring to the side yard of our property. Some place that wasn’t a focal point for our landscape. And then Snowpocalypse 2010 happened and when the snow melted, we didn’t like what we saw. The weight of the snow flattened all three of the plants like pancakes and the middle plant was about 75% dead. We weren’t happy with the plants, but we didn’t want them to die; we were just going to move them.
We spent this past weekend, working on our front landscaping. I picked three new plants to replace the Pieris. I chose a red Rhododendron for the center and 2 Peppermint Mtn. Laurel plants for the sides. The Mtn laurel is native to PA and it is our state flower. They are evergreens, so they won’t lose their leaves and should fill in nicely to camouflage the foundation of the house; my biggest complaint about the Pieris. I transplanted two of the three Pieris to our side yard and sadly the third plant went into our municipal recycling container.
We also spent the weekend, mulching all of the beds around our house. We purchased 3 cubic yards of leaf compost from our municipality for $35. Our municipality collects leaves in the fall and turns them into the most beautiful, rich, dark compost.
In an effort to control the weeds, I am trying the newspaper method this year. I put down several layers of newspaper underneath the mulch in a chemical-free attempt to block out the weeds.
Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet.
If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS through your RSS Feed, please click here to sign up. Or sign up for FREE email updates, by submitting your email address in the top left side of this site.
This post is linked to:
- Works For Me Wednesday at We are that Family
- Finer Things Friday at Amy’s Finer Things
- A Soft Place To Land