Vegetable Lasagna with Eggplant, Zucchini and Carrots
- 1 large eggplant, cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, or any other onion in your refrigerator, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- ¾ tsp black pepper, divided
- ½ tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 32 oz Roasted Red Plum Tomato Sauce or your favorite homemade or store bought sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, about 2 small to medium size zukes
- 1 package ‘no boiling required’ lasagna noodles
- 2 Cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
1. Place eggplant slices on a clean dish towel. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, dry off slices.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Stir often.
3. Add 1/2 tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, oregano, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the parsley, ricotta, shredded zucchini, ½ tsp pepper.
5. Prepare a 13 X 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread ½ Cup tomato mixture in bottom of pan.
6. Place 4 lasagna noodles on top of tomato mixture, overlapping the noodles.
7. Arrange half of the eggplant slices on top of noodles.
8. Spread half of the cheese/zuke mixture on top of eggplant.
9. Place 4 more lasagna noodles on top of cheese.
10. Spread 1 cup of tomato mixture on top of lasagna noodles.
11. Repeat steps 7, 8, 9 and 10, using the balance of the eggplant, cheese and tomato mixture.
12. Evenly spread the mozzarella on top.
13. Spray foil with cooking spray and cover the pan.
14. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
15. Remove the foil and bake another 25 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
16. Let the lasagna sit for about 10 minutes before digging in.
I am trying something new this week. Click on the link for a printable copy: Vegetable Lasagna with Eggplant, Zucchini and Carrots.
What’s your favorite way to eat lasagna? Let us know in the comments.
Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet.
This post is linked to: