When one thinks of Christmas or the holiday season, cookies most likely come to mind. I grew up baking Christmas cookies with my mother and grandmother and I definitely want to continue the tradition with my own girls. But baking several varieties of Christmas cookies can be more time consuming than our hectic schedules allow.
Several years ago, I attended my first cookie swap. I came home with 6 different varieties of cookies. I froze most of the cookies and then took them to my extended family’s Christmas party and all I had to do was bake one type of cookie.
A cookie swap is a fun way to celebrate the holidays with your friends and family and you can cross baking off of your holiday to-do list.
How to Organize a Cookie Swap
1. Invite your friends and/or family over for hot chocolate or coffee.
2. Ask everyone to bring 3 things to the party:
- One dozen cookies for each of the participants to take home. As the host, you will let everyone know how many packages to prepare. If a dozen is too much, make it a half-dozen. Have the participants bring the cookies already packaged in bags or containers.
- Additional cookies or another treat to share during the party.
- A basket or large bag to take home their new cookies.
3. Make sure to set guidelines in case there are food allergies or issues.
4. At swap time, have the participant’s place their baskets or bags around a table. Then each participant should place their packaged cookies in the other participant’s baskets.
Some cookies swap recipe ideas:
- White Chocolate Orange Dream Cookies
- Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- Brownie Muffins
What’s your favorite holiday cookie? Have you ever hosted or attended a cookie swap? Let us know in the comments.
Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
- have updates sent to your email,
- through your RSS Feed
- become a fan and ‘like’ FBS on Facebook
- become a Twitter follower
[…] Family Breakfast Day 6 ~ Christmas Crafts Day 7 ~ Attend Christmas Programs at Church Day 8 ~ Host a Cookie Swap Day 9 ~ Family Game Night Day 10 ~ Gift Wrapping Party Day 11 ~ Christmas Book Read Aloud Day 12 ~ […]