I have limited storage space in my kitchen for food, so keeping my small food cupboard neat & tidy is so important. Disorder equals disaster…at least in my kitchen. Food will be forgotten about and go uneaten or I end up buying duplicates and unnecessary ingredients.
It doesn’t take much to organize your pantry and to keep it that way, just follow these easy steps.
5 Easy Steps to an Organized Pantry
1. Remove EVERYTHING
Empty your cupboards or pantry. Wipe down the shelves and doors.
2. Sort by category
On your counter or kitchen table, sort your food by category, such as: beverages, baking supplies, canned goods, boxed goods, breakfast foods, condiments, pasta/rice, snacks, etc.
Place the food back in your pantry by category.
3. Where will you use the food?
Put the food back into the cupboards by category, but place the food close to where you’ll use it. Some ideas:
- Store spices, herbs, cooking oils, and vinegars near your stove.
- Place the coffee by the machine.
- Store all of the baking supplies near your mixer.
4. Discard or recycle any outdated food.
Donate any food that you probably won’t eat (and is not outdated) to a food bank.
5. Face the food labels forward for easy viewing. Alphabetize your herbs and spices.
Does your kitchen need to be reorganized? It will surely help you with your meal planning. Let us know in the comments your tips for keeping your kitchen organized.