This Buttermilk Waffles recipe was passed down from my grandmother. Drizzle with your favorite syrup for breakfast, or make my Chicken & Waffles Recipe.
Make a double batch and store the cooked waffles in freezer bags after they have cooled. When ready to use, remove from the freezer and pop in a toaster oven or heat for a short time in the microwave.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups flour
- 5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ⅔ cup melted butter
- Pre-heat your waffle maker.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and milk for about 1 minute.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt and add it to the egg yolk mixture. While mixing, add the melted butter and mix until just combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the egg whites.
- Make waffles according to your waffle machine.
No buttermilk? No worries, try this Buttermilk Substitute.
Related Recipes: Chicken & Waffles