This Triple Chocolate Skillet Cookie was the inspiration for me rescuing a cast iron skillet from my basement closet. But I bet the cookie could easily be baked in a pie pan, although that wouldn’t be as much fun…
or as cute to photograph–lol.
Make sure you pair the cookie with your favorite ice cream, a big glass of cold milk, or homemade whipped cream.
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons oil - choose from vegetable, canola or coconut
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ brown sugar
- ¼ sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa,
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (or more) chocolate chips, your choice of flavor. I used dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, heat the semisweet chocolate, oil, and butter in the microwave for 20 seconds, stir, and then heat for another 25 seconds until just melted.
- Add the brown sugar, sugar and beaten egg and stir well.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir well. The batter will be dense, keep stirring though to combine completely.
- Spread the batter into a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 19 minutes.
- If you want a softer cookie, eat soon, but we had the cookie much later and it was more crispy. We didn't mind.
I used 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. My kids do not like coconut, otherwise I would have used 3 full tablespoons of coconut oil.
This post is linked to Thrifty Thursday.