Today’s post is from my good friend, Elle Martinez, of Couple Money. Enjoy!
We just had some people over to our house for lunch this past weekend. It was a low key and fun afternoon with several conversations flowing.
One thing lead to another and we were swapping some life lessons and the topic happened to be marriage. Immediately one thing jumped out at me – “you need to keep having dates.”
Treasure Those Date Nights!
As parents, I know we’ve been guilty of pushing aside date nights, but over the past year, I have noticed a difference dates have made. Sure, it can be a bit tricky and some nights we’re tired. However, they have all been worth it.
Connecting with one another, even for a short date or one at home after the kids are asleep, keeps the joy between us. We find ourselves laughing or maybe having a deep debate and to be honest, we just need to get something off our chests.
One reason I love summer, it’s a chance for us to have more date nights, to enjoy the warm weather. I love dinner a movie once in awhile, but I prefer to do something together (and eat, come one, that’s a given!).
Make the Most of Your Time with These Summer Date Night Ideas
If you two are looking at having a wonderful time reconnecting and having fun without spending a ton of money, here are eight date ideas to try out!
- Picnic in the park. What’s more romantic that a quiet and relaxing meal at the park? You can make it even more special by preparing and packing your meal together.
- Enjoy a hike together. Connect, get in shape, and enjoy nature all at once with a hike. Even a stroll can be a low-key way to spend the day.
- Camping. I’m planning a camping trip next month at a local park. It’s enough to feel like a getaway without having to go too far. If the great outdoors is a bit much for you, maybe you two can have a little backyard experience. Have the kids away for the weekend and enjoy a peaceful evening of smores and star gazing.
- Pick strawberries and blueberries. Find a local farm in your area and gather some berries. If you have an ice cream maker at home, you can enjoy a cool dessert!
- Catch a free concert. Summertime usually means some more free events so check to see if your city or town has something going on. If there are any local college campuses in your area, see if there are bands playing.
- Date like a college kid. Sometimes cheap eats can be the best dates. Find a happy hour special you can catch at a hole in the wall spot.
- Vintage shopping. You two can go on a treasure hunt. You each choose something for the other to find at a consignment, thrift, or vintage shop. Whoever find theirs first or scores the best deal wins!
- Rent a convertible for a day. There’s something about having the wind in hair when the top is down. If you don’t have one, rent a convertible and take a scenic and winding drive somewhere.
Those are a few of my favorites, how about you? What are some of your date night ideas for this summer?
Elle Martinez is the founder and host of Couple Money. Her new book, Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money, is designed as a four-week guide to help couples build their wealth together!