31 Days to Slash your Grocery Spending
Today is Day 20 of 31 Days to Slash your Grocery Spending: Pre-Holiday Grocery Sales
Is there a single holiday that doesn’t revolve around food? Think about it. There’s the Thanksgiving turkey, the Easter ham, Christmas cookies, Memorial Day & July 4th picnics….you get the picture.
Grocery stores completely capitalize on this and offer super low prices on holiday favorites in the weeks leading up to the holiday. It’s a competitive time and the stores are fighting to get you in their door.
The pre-holiday sales are a great time to stock up on the delicious holiday foods.
Some examples of holiday sales:
- Low prices on hamburgers, hot dogs, and rolls before the summer picnic holidays, such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day.
- Low prices on ham, baking supplies, and candy before Easter.
- Low prices on sausages before St. Patrick’s Day.
- Canned pumpkin before Halloween and Thanksgiving.
- Pork and sauerkraut before New Year’s Eve…although that might be a central PA thing 😉
- FREE turkey or ham offer with a minimum purchase over a period of time before Thanksgiving.
- Extremely low prices on baking supplies, like sugar, flour, brown sugar, chocolate chips, etc during the Thanksgiving – Christmas time period.
I stock up on as many of these that my pantry and freezer can handle. Wegman’s has offered 5 lb bags of flour for .99 during the Christmas holiday. I always buy the limit was 5 bags per customer and store them in the freezer.
When our favorite hamburger & hotdog rolls go on sale before the summer holidays, I stock up and store in the freezer. This brand doesn’t go on sale very often and we’re pretty picky about our rolls.
When ham is super cheap before Easter & Thanksgiving, I buy one or two to bake and store in 2 cup portions for easy ham dinners.
And a FREE or low cost turkey = many meal ideas in the freezer.
These are just a few examples, so be sure to scan the pre-holiday sales flyers to see what bargains you can buy and stock up on.
What food deals have you found during the holidays? Let us know in the comments.
Follow along daily on Facebook where I share the posts and pictures from my own challenge.
Also bookmark the 31 Days to Slash Your Grocery Spending category page so you can check in daily.
Leave a Reply